Wednesday, June 10, 2009

BEACH WEDDING!

i have news! BIG news! After 38 years of
bachelorhood, my son has decided to tie the
knot! He came home in the middle of the day
yesterday and told me the news. I had been
suspecting the announcement Sunday when
they spent all evening with us at my friend's
house. His sister and the nephews were all
there and we just lounged on the deck all
afternoon. It was the perfect time to announce
the engagement, but apparently, he lost his
nerve. No, he said he decided to tell me first
privately. Could be that he was not certain
of my reaction. He always dreads to tell me
that he is going on a trip because he thinks
that I stress about it. So he delays telling me
when actually, I just need time to digest the
news and pray about it.
Anyhow, it is official. Plans have already
been made for a beach wedding. He has
always been determined to have a low-key
wedding on a tropical beach, forgoing all
the fal-de-ral that his sister loved so much.
She had two big church weddings and did
most of the preparations herself. I guess
she thought she could do the same for him,
but the bride-to-be was in total agreement
with him. I am a little relieved, I admit.
The two of them seem so happy that it
is hard not to get immersed in the glow. She
is an extremely striking young lady, and will
make a beautiful bride. Her sister will be
maid of honor and my son has asked his
nephews to share the best men spot. I do
not think tuxedo's will be worn because of
the heat, although it is scheduled for sunset.
I am trying not to think ahead to the
changes in our living arrangements and the
obstacles that stand in the way, and instead
be happy in this joyous occasion and the
marriage of my only son.
Of course, I have my own fear of flying to
overcome, and the fear of the unknown that
has developed with age, in order to be part
of the ceremony. However, a trip to the
Virgin Islands and a paid vacation is hard
to resist.


3 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Congrats to your son. I know it's a relief of sorts to see the children all married. I was happy when mine all found nice wives. I also had the sad occasion of divorce happening to to one of my boys, but he has found another someone special so we will see what comes of that. It will be a special vacation for you for sure. I hope you can forgo the worries and just enjoy it all. For me that would be a trip of a lifetime. I hope you can take some pictures to show. How beautiful it will be. Beaches are one of my favorite places anyway.
'On Ya'-ma

Beth said...

Wow, two pieces of great news! So happy for the safe arrival of your great-niece, and the wonderful news about your son. As for a beach wedding in the Virgin Islands...I know you'll love it! My friend got married at a resort in Mexico, and it was all-inclusive. The families had a great time, and I know you will, too. You might not enjoy the getting there part, but the fun you'll have will make you forget that! Congratulations! Hugs, Beth

redpoppy007@aol.com said...

Congrats!! I love beach weddings.
Our daughter got married at the Beach, but in a church.
I know you will enjoy and have lots of fun.