Friday, May 15, 2009

I MUST BE MURPHY!

Murphy's law is known by practically everyone,
it seems. The likelihood that anything that can
go wrong will go wrong seems sometimes to
especially apply to me. It could be caused by
my extreme "bumbling" instead of chance, do
you think? Anyway, the chances of something
going wrong are extremely ex "ass "erbated by
getting in a hurry. Now, I am not a "hurry" type
of person by nature, and as I age less than
gracefully, seem to have slowed to a snail's
pace.
I have begun to dread any event for which
I have a set time to arrive. This trait has become
stronger since my retirement, since I no longer
have to be at work on time, a fact that I am so
enjoying thoroughly. That alarm clock has been
thrown right out the window, something I've
wanted to do for 20+ years. Oh, the joy of late
morning sleep!
I digress, back to timed events. That includes
weddings, funerals, graduations, showers, and
even church services. Since it is not "cool" to
make a late entrance to any of these, I have now
begun to question whether I even want to attend.
Now I love going to church and I have years of
non-attendance to make-up for so it is not an
option to skip these services. The rest can be
replaced with a card containing money in the
preference of personal attendance, or so I
rationalize when I am trying to talk myself out
of going.
It is not so much that I do not enjoy these
outings once I get there (well, maybe not the
funerals!) but the option of not going causes
me not to be fully prepared for the occasion.
I don't know why I do not purchase multiple
items like pantyhose that I know I am going
to need. It is inevitable to get a big "runner"
at the last minute, causing the panic to well
up in one's throat, knowing you have not
allowed time for an emergency stop at the
local Wal-mart.
For instance, this weekend I attended a
funeral that involved a four hour trip each way.
Delay followed delay, almost as if a little
demon planned the agenda to frustrate me.
Some were insignificant things that could be
shrugged off or changed. Others were major,
like rain beginning while I was inside a rest
stop bathroom. My hair does not react well
to humidity, much less a downpour. (I could
have taken an umbrella inside with me, but
my not thinking ahead caused a frizzy do.)
My appearance was nothing compared
to major accident which occured a few cars
ahead of us that blocked the highway with
demolished vehicles, rescue squads, fire
trucks, a wrecker, and an emergency heli-
copter. The arrival of the chopper signaled
us to turn around and retreat 30 minutes to
another parkway exit which was an alternate
route, but added another 30 minutes travel
time. Now, things like accidents and rain
storms are things that is beyond one's control,
but it is small things that are more irritating.
I am absent-minded at best. (Note the
fact that I left my only curling iron in the hotel
room when we left, causing an even worse
hairdo the next day.) Knowing this weakness
causes me to doubt my own self, generating
paicked thoughts that spoil any event. For
example, thinking "Did I or did I not leave the
iron on?" or "Did I check the stove after I
heated the soup?" or "Did I lock the front
door after the unexjpected company arrived
while I was getting dressed to leave?" A
series of things like this is what causes my
usually unruffled countenance to disintergrate.
Since I abhor profanity, I have a few choice
words , expletives , that explode unbidden at
moments like these.
I've noticed that it doesn't matter so much
to me when others have to wait for me as the
fact that I hate waiting for others. My friend
has the need to be early for events, which I
find is tiresome. He also wants to leave them
early, while I, once I have got there, do not
mind to linger and gab, knowing that he is
fuming all the while. I like to be on time. If
something starts at the stated time, I like
to be there no more than three minutes prior.
Needless to say, any small delay can cause
one to enter sheepishly right behind the
bridal party. Oh, well, I guess there is some-
thing to be said for making a grand entrance.
(and probably is said, in a mumbled undertone.)
When will I learn? Probably never. I could
apply several old adages that I have in my stock
of philosophical references. Like "You can't make
a silk purse from a sow's ear", and "You can't
change a zebra's stripes". But also, "Better late
than never!" and "You're never too old to learn".
I have a tendency to pass the buck and blame
some one or some thing for my failings, a common
tendency, I've noted. I've recognized my weakness,
now working on me, instead of blaming fate or even
Murphy's Law will take some time and effort. I'll TRY!

3 comments:

Leigh/BlueDragonfly said...

Geez, I could have written this. I'm in that same boat and forgot the oar!
My hubby knew a guy in the Nat. Guard whose last name was Murphy. He was blamed for so many things. lol
If you manage to lick this, please let me know!

:) Leigh

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'm usually one of those that show up early. I don't like being late but I'm going to less and less things. A 4 hour drive for a funeral would never happen here. I don't even visit my children that often as the drive is too long for me. Thankfully my little camper is only 1 hour 15 minutes away. That's about the longest drive I'll be taking for now. I am looking forward to retirement and not having to keep track of time, but going to church on Sunday's is part of my life that will continue no matter what. It's only 15 minutes away at the most.

Beth said...

I had to laugh at this, Pat, because I actually had to set my alarm this morning so I could get up and get some concert tickets as soon as they went on sale. Yes, I set my alarm for the crack of dawn...9:30 AM. LOL! Of course, I was up until 3, so after I got the tickets, I took a nap! (It's a rainy day here, tailor-made for sleeping.)

I share your dislike of appointments of any kind. I was talking with my Mom one day, and we got on that subject, and turns out she's the same way! So I come by it honestly.

Hugs, Beth