Thursday, May 7, 2009

RECESSION RECIPES

While preparing my traditional Thursday's spaghetti sauce,
I had the random thought, "Nothing gives you as much bang for
your buck than good ol' spaghetti"! Thankfully, all my family
loves spaghetti with or without meatballs. I usually make a meat
sauce because it is easier. I prefer a chunky tomato marinara,
but my son likes it smooth. Anyway, it set me thinking about my
frugal family food.
I have written in prior posts about my mother's comfort cooking
and how she loved feeding her extended family members. She
loved cooking big pots of food to have simmering on the stove
when family members strolled in unexpected. My parents and
my husband's parents had all survived the depression era and
adapted their menu's and recipes to fit the meager times. My
era was not quite as deprived as theirs but they continued their
simple food preparation mainly because they had become
accustomed to it and even preferred it to more expensive dishes.
My husband's favorite dishes were typical farm fare. We
did not know at the time how loaded with fats, white flour and
sugar could contribute to health problems like high blood
pressure and cholesterol. We only knew that he loved gravy
and biscuits with fried sausage, bacon or ham. Occasionally,
he spoke longingly of his mother fixing Banner Brand sausage,
a cheap canned version that was loaded with fat. I did not
fry it , because I suspected that it was "mystery meat", even though
he assured me that all the fat fried out leaving a unique flavor.
The canned meats that I used were Treet and Spam and I came
up with a delicious version of chopped ham for two. I sliced the
small loaf almost through into six sections. Into each split, I would
place a half-slice of pineapple and cover all with a glaze of mixed
brown sugar and prepared mustard. Baked, it was great! Not
exactly gourmet, but a welcome change from fried bologna (which
he also loved, by the way.)
Our standard staple was brown (pinto) beans and fried
potatoes. (We called them Irish potatoes, because they saved
many an Irish family from the famine.) Other beans were often
cooked, white navy, lima and butter beans but never as often
as our soup beans. These simmered all day on the stove and
eaten with big pieces of corn bread and various pickled foods.
We ate fresh green beans in summer and home canned ones
in the winter time. Bushels of potatoes were covered in the ground
in "tater holes", covered with straw and soil to prevent freezing.
One of my husband's favorite meats was pork side meat that
was salt preserved like country ham. He liked slices of it rolled
in corn meal and fried crisp and golden. As a matter of fact, he
liked anything rolled in corn meal and fried. We both would have
eaten a ______ if it was rolled in corn meal and fried. LOL!
No, we did not indulge in some of the ethnic dishes like
"chittlings" and "mountain oysters" that were very cheap but my
mother liked hog jowl and pickled pig's feet, but I could never
even look at those dishes. She occasionally wanted some
potted meat or vienna sausages even though she was not to
eat that as she got older.
She cooked some things with bacon renderings all her life
and would not substitute oil for the fat in some dishes. Her
German potato salad was loaded with bacon drippings. It is a
good thing that the older generation worked so hard. There
certainly was no need for exercise classes back then. Hoeing
a cornfield would work off a multitude of sinful indulgences.
Her biscuits were light and golden and her cornbread was
perfect, and I suspect a little lard made the difference. She
scorned green beans and pinto beans that were not cooked
with a strip of "fat-back" meat. And it sure added flavor!
I always made salmon croquettes (patties) as a special
treat for my husband, because he loved them. I hated for
the house to smell like fried fish so sometimes I fixed them
on the porch in the electric skillet. He also liked chicken
livers sometimes instead of buttermilk fried chicken or
chicken and dumplings. Of course, we had lots of veggies,
greens and baked dishes. In later years, I tried to limit
fried foods as I became more health conscious but they
remained his favorite foods all his life.
My son grew away from our eating style while in college.
He began to appreciate a more international cuisine. Plus,
he often dined with his girlfriend of eight years. Her grand-
father was a wealthy cattleman, among other things, and my
son became a steak-lover during those years. To be honest,
he never cared as much about our home-cooking as we did.
He acts incredulous about some of the things we liked (I say
he is a member of the spoiled generation of burger, pizza
lovers.) sometimes when I have an especially "country"meal,
he sneaks out to his favorite local steak-house. I don't know
which is worse, our variety meats or his red meat. I guess
to each his own.
I think I have learned a more nutritious way of cooking.
(Maybe! ) However, when the spectre of recession hovers
over us, not to even mention dreaded depression, the old
days and old ways do not seem so bad. A simple life was a
good life when it was always seasoned with love.


3 comments:

Beth said...

This sounds so familiar, Pat. My folks grew up during the Depression, and my Mom fixed so many of those things when I was growing up! Her family came from eastern Kentucky, and my Grandma, and Mom and her sisters, were all great southern cooks. I liked almost all of it, except I was not a fan of fried mush. I wonder if I'd like it now?

I still love fried potatoes and onions, although I don't use bacon grease for frying things. We still love our meat, but try to have fish every so often, too. I like to fry apples in butter, although Ken isn't a huge fan...but mmm, I love fried apples!

By the way, I've got a ham bone in the freezer ready for a pot of ham and beans. It doesn't sound as good in the summer, though!

Thanks for a fun reminder of the great cooking that I grew up with, and sometimes still do today. Hugs, Beth

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Bacon grease flavors things so well...I grew up with it too. Pinto beans, fried potatoes and all. I still love them.

Leigh/BlueDragonfly said...

Mmmm...This is making me hungry. One of the things I remember having as a kid was a big tuna casserole with homemade noodles(that we helped make), or a pot of chicken and dumplings(light as a feather). And one of my favorite "farm dinners" was green beans and potatoes, cooked with salt pork and ham pieces.
Lately I've been craving homemade chicken noodle soup. I should do that before it gets too hot to cook.

:) Leigh