Thursday, May 28, 2009

TRESPASSER

Well, I still haven't gotten that last rose planted. My lawn care men

have not been here in three weeks now and with all the rain, my grass

is very high. But not high enough to hide the trespasser that sneaked

up behind me. When I turned and saw IT, my mattock went one way

and I went the other. I haven't moved that fast in three years, since I

hurt my knees. I paid for it yesterday evening, with pain all night.

but I was moving on.

I tried to call both my son and my friend and could not get in

touch with either one. When I told them about it later, their mild

unconcern ruffled my feathers, to say the least. As did their

assurance that IT was long gone by then. Just passing through.

So, today, I thought I'd keep my eyes pealed but get that rose

into the hole that had been dug and abandoned.

My eyes were darting to and fro and sure enough, I

spotted the invader again, this time on my porch. I must

have been slightly incoherent when I called my son at the office.

The next thing I knew a police car pulled into the driveway and

my good friend Jim began the search. He stopped once to ask

me if I was sure that it wasn't a coil of television cable by the

fence. He must have been convinced for he resumed his search

and this time he saw it. He managed to use his trusty pepper

spray before it went under some wood. He advised me to call

the local "Mountain Man" who has many years of expertise in

this field. My son called him and he came at once. It did not

take him long to spot and capture his quarry. I tried to pay him

but he refused and instead took the captured prey to his own

barn, where IT was welcome as a rodent hunter. Good riddance.

I have had a bad case of nerves since then, jumping at

every thing I see or feel. It will take me a while to recover.

In the meantime, I am sending that last rose to my daughter

or putting it in a pot till next spring. If ever!


3 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

3 weeks is a long time to go with out mowing grass. Hope your intruder didn't leave any friends behind. I think we've all had more rain than we'd like.
Take care !

Beth said...

Resembled a coil of TV cable...? Yikes, that must have been a good size! I'm glad you were able to relocate him!

Hollie said...

Pat,
Thanks for the sweet comment over at my place.

I do not like intruders like that either. I'm glad it worked out okay. Good riddance indeed! Have a good day!