Tuesday, April 21, 2009

I KNOW WHAT I WANT

After all this time, I have made up my mind. No more
searching movie star magazines and hair style booklets
for me.
I am tired of trying to explain the style I want to my hair-
stylist (if you can call her that) because no matter how I tell
her about a new do, she cuts it the same way every time.
I know what I want but apparently, so does she and she
wins. The one time she changed was when I was relaxing
with eyes closed while she did the comb-out and gasped
when I looked in the mirror. I said, "But I do not part my
hair in the middle. My face is too round!" This woman
has been my stylist for three years now and I have never
requested a center part. She has conveniently ignored
the torn-out pictures of every starlet from Alba to Zeta-
Jones, and every modern style I have seen or devised.
I know it is hard to concentrate on snipping while
carrying on a conversation on a cell phone tucked
under her chin. Perhaps that is why I get a blunt
cut when I request a layered look. Perhaps that is why
I get a curly perm when I want just body. Maybe that
is why I get orange instead of champagne blonde
highlights. I get anxious when the timer has gone off
several minutes before she returns from the back.
But the cut, (Oh, my, the cut!) everyone knows that is
the most important part. Last time when I examined
the final results in the mirror, I gulped audibly. Then
I began telling myself, "Don't panic, it will grow out.
Your hair grows fast, it won't take long." Ha! A bad
cut lasts FOREVER! And you have to live with it
in the meantime. Of course, all the important occasions
come around during this time of exasperation. She
had the nerve to say ,the last time I went for a trim
after a bad perm (she had said, I am going to use
pink, then gray, then pink rollers this time and hope
it will give you more body") that "Your hair seems a
little dry." I did not say, " I have just had two hot oil
treatments and a deep conditioning treatment at
home!"
I am not a difficult client. I hide my displeasure
and write it off as lack of communication. But, I
think I have a solution. I have found a picture of my-
self that was taken twenty years ago, that has the
style I want. It is beside the point that the face was
thin with only one chin, the skin was smooth and
unwrinkled, and the hair was thick and glossy. I
am not asking for miracles. I know she does not
do plastic surgery or tummy tucks or camoflauge
make-up. Just please, please, for once can
we do it my way?

2 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I suffered with a stylist for 2 years just like the one you described. I finally found a new one that has cut it just as I want and I love it. It's the other gals loss not mine for sure. I wonder why they do that??? Now I love the gal I have and you are right a good cut means everything when it comes to hair.

Beth said...

Hmm, I think I'd try a new stylist, for sure! It sounds like she just kind of does what she wants to do, no matter what you say!