Monday, April 20, 2009

HIGHWAY HAZARDS

I resolved to make my next post a happy one.

Therefore, I have my work cut out for me since I

chose the temporary title, "Highway Hazards".

Well, where I liive you can encounter various types

of hazards anytime you chose to go for a drive.

The highways going north and south have both

been built at great expense and effort since

portions of them must be carved from limestone

mountains, leaving highwalls that are terraced

to protect from rockfalls. Drillmarks are evident

from blasting and loose rock occasionally fall

onto highways. Sometimes wire mesh fences

are erected in the most dangerous places. We

joke that a search still continues for a missing

Indian chief named "Fallen Rocks" (and you can

see signs telling you to watch for him! )

You may also see signs picturing a leaping

deer at the usual deer crossings. That joke is

that a elderly lady who had a deer crossing sign

near her house called the Highway Department

asking them to change the sign to somewhere

else because "too many of those little fellas are

getting killed there where it is nowl". I dunno.

I'm not going to even comment on our supply

of coal trucks, log trucks and Sunday drivers. we

seem to have more than our share.

I love where I live nestled in a valley between high

mountains. A flatlander friend said, "How do you

stand being closed in by mountains on both sides.

You can't see the sky." But I can, you just have

to..... " look to the hills from whence cometh my help.

My help cometh from the Lord, who made heaven

and earth"..... and I feel sheltered and protected

by my beloved mountains. But I will be glad

to see them green again.

2 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

When I was growing up we always traveled to my grandparents that were nestled in between all those fallen rock signs too. I loved it there. They were in a little valley with hills on all sides and rock cliffs too. Where I live it is flat country but where I camp in in the hills. We are almost at the top of a hill and I love it. There are no fallen rock signs as it's not quite deep enough into the hills. It's good to love where you're at.

Beth said...

Oh, I love the mountains. I'm looking forward to driving through them when we go to Florida this summer!

Hugs, Beth