Friday, April 17, 2009

I mentioned briefly, in my last post, that I,
along with my family, had just endured a very
traumatic event. That event could have ended
the life of my precious niece and the life of
her unborn child, as well. Her almost four-
year-old daughter may have memories that
will haunt her for a lifetime. Even I have had
issues to overcome, as her aunt, and I can
hardly imagine what my dear sister, her
mother has endured. I can hardly answer
questions when asked because of waves
of nausea and trembling. So, I made the
decision to write a short version of what
happened as it was told to me. I hope this
will be thereputic for me.
Perhaps some of you will remember
the short poem describing my niece, that
I included in my previous journal. Here's
a tidbit,
" ............flower petal skin,
like the purest porcelain.
And the bluest eyes,
beneath the skies,..............."

This beautiful little girl that I love so much, is
all grown up now with a little blonde miniature
replica of herself that is now almost four and
is eight months pregnant with another little
girl baby.
She and her daughter went shopping
one morning last week. She became un-
easy when she felt that she was being
followed around the store by a stranger.
The woman (age 34) did not look and
act quite right, so my niece hurriedly took
;her selections to the check-out counter.
My niece was suddenly attacked from
behind by the woman, who slashed at
her repeatedlly with a steak knife. She
shielded the baby with her arms while
she screamed for help. She said it
seemed an eternity before another
customer, a brave man, tackled the
woman and pinned her arms until the
police arrived. His wife helped to
console my niece's daughter, while
they were trying to control the bleeding.
She had been viciously stabbed 6 times,
along with numerous cuts on her arms.
Two of the cuts were to the abdomen,
one on either side of the baby, barely
missing it (which they did not know at
the time.) The one to the thigh proved
to be most serious, as it entered the
muscle. She was taken to a nearby
hospital for emergency treatment,
then later transported to a neo-natal
hospital 150 miles away. An irregular
heartbeat from the baby was probably
caused by the stress.
When my sister called me on the
way there, she requested that I call
my prayer chain , which I did, and I
know that other local churches began
praying for them. Praise God, the
tests that followed showed a restored
rhythm and that the baby was fine.
My nieces wounds were treated and
she was released on crutches the
next day.
We were told later that the woman
had been released from jail the previous
day. She had been imprisoned for
stabbing another woman a few years
ago. Apparently, she was mentally
deranged, with a violent history.
The shock of this happening has
stunned our entire family and community.
I can't begin to express how violated we
still feel. Her little girl, in her grandmother's
care, refused to go into a store because,
"that woman might be there and kill me."
Accidents are hard enough to cope
with, but a vitriolic act of hatred and violence
shakes one to the core. We warn our
children to avoid dangerous places and
people, but to not be able to feel safe in
ordinary places in plain daylight just
blows ones mind.
It would be easy to slip into a
vengeful mood of retaliation. I was
helped very much by viewing a film
on "20-20" a few nights ago. It
showed a mother's journey to her
forgiving the murderer of her small
child abducted on a family camping
trip. As she said, "Hatred can eat
you alive." As a result of her efforts,
the killer was captured and convicted.
I definitely want my niece's
attacker to recieve the treatment she
must have. I am also praying that she
will not be loosed upon society again
until they are certain she is rid of the
demons which obviously possess her.
I pity her for her torment, but I embrace
loved ones that I could so suddenly
have lost. Thank God for answered\
prayers, and for sending that brave
man to her rescue. I , along with my
family, will be eternally grateful.




2 comments:

Beth said...

Pat, oh my God, that's absolutely horrible. I am so so glad she and the baby are okay, but I'm sure there will be lasting scars for both your niece and her daughter, and I'm not talking physical scars.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said something like that happening in a "safe place" is what is so disconcerting. It's that sort of nonsensical, chaotic event that can shake your belief in the order of things in the universe.

If it's possible to find a silver lining in this, I think you did in the man who came to your niece's rescue. Even in the midst of madness, someone stood up and helped a fellow human being. Thank goodness for him.

I'm so sorry your family had to go through such a horrible event. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Love, Beth

Bookncoffee said...

Oh my gosh. I am so sorry that you and your family members have this to deal with. This earth has some horrible people in it. Not even people - creatures. I am so sorry and I am saying a special prayer for peace and comfort and healing and for thanks as well that everyone is ok. I hope you feel HIS calming spirit.
Sonya