Monday, April 20, 2009

Postscript

I had forgotten to include in my previous post
the bit of news that inspired the whole thing. Among
the highway hazards that I noted was the latest::
Motorists in the county adjacent to mine (where my
friend lives) spotted a meteor descending in that
vicinity one morning last week. At 6:30 a.m, early
morning commuters on their way to work saw it come
within a few hundred yards of earth before it split into
two pieces. The newspaper quoted a scientist as
saying it was a meteor instead of a meteorite because
a meteorite would have disintergrated when it entered
the atmosphere. He said it was probably farther south
than reported . No debris has been found thus far.
The article said that an average of 2 meteors a
day hit the earth (or oceans) and that 40,000 tons of
space material is added to the planet Earth each year.
My question: Who weighed it? I will never understand
how these calculations are arrived at but I find them
fascinating, none the less.
My falling rocks hazard does not seem quite
as bad as a meteor strike. I think I heard somewhere
that the city of Middlesboro, Ky is the only city
known to have been built around a crater left by a
meteor. Must have been a big one. Something to
ponder while looking skyward. I wonder if the
tool kit abandoned by the space shuttle can be
seen orbiting the earth with a good telescope.
Did you know that the Hubbell telescope was
engineered by a Kentucky scientist? Anyhow , a
fellow Kentuckian told me that. I must do a little
research on Snopes.com before I pass on these
things. In the meantime, watch for falling rocks.

No comments: