Thursday, November 20, 2008

ODDS AND ENDS

You may have guessed from the title that this will be a
scatter-brained posting, for lack of a major topic. My mind
and conversation often flit from one unrelated item to another
and this is one of those times. Fair warning!
Why do appliances pick the worst times to go beserk?
My water heater is out. I think it needs new elements and
the plumber I use is very busy at this time. Two days now,
I have heated water on the stove for dishes, sponge baths,
and the constant hand washing that occurs so much. They
say you don't miss the water till the well runs dry. Well, I
can attest to the fact that I miss HOT running water very much.
I finally figured out that my dishwasher heats the water itself
if it isn't hot enough. I'm tempted to climb in for a hot shower.
Anyone that wants to go back to the good ol' days, be my
guest. I'll stay mod, thank you!
My daughter informed me that my grandsons are going
to the football game Saturday with their hot-blooded Dad.
(Cold weather does not phase him in the least.) Plus , he
has the theory that his boys need "toughening up". Gr-r-r!
I objected, of course, even though the game is against
their major rival, who is the only team to defeat the boy's
school team all year. It is the play-offs, but not worth
getting sick for the holidays. Last week they parked on
the knoll overlooking the stadium and tail-gated. The
boys soon got cold and wisely watched most of the game
from the truck.
When I fret about the boy's nonchalant father, my
honey chides me about being "over-protective", and I get
to hear once again how he was sent by his mother ,as his
father lay dying from double pneumonia, to cut the ice in
the pond so that their animals could get to water. (This was
a FIVE-YEAR OLD BOY!) I questioned the veracity of this
tale until his eighty-seven year old mother told me that it
was true, indeed. She must have seen how incredulous
I looked, because she went on the tell me that it was
January, and she was expecting her third child at any time.
They lived on a remote farm and the doctor had not been
able to get to them. Penicillin and other antibiotics were
not even discovered until years later. Neighbors tried to
carry his father out to the distant highway that day, but
sadly, he passed away that day at age twenty-eight. His
mother said, "I had to think about the living. My three
young children depended on me. (HIs youngest sister was
born three weeks after her father died.) and they would
need the animals desperately." I admired the bravery
of this woman and she worked all her life, (with the help
of that dear little boy) , and raised three fine children. You
have to admire the spunk of these pioneer women. And
sixty-plus years later, I still see signs of the courage,
bravery, and character that was instilled in them.
He also said that the only store-bought toy he ever owned
was a Red Flyer wagon his dad had bought him the year
he died. He hauled firewood for the family for the next
ten years in that wagon. Are we not a spoiled generation?
Yes, I admit I paid sixty dollars for a video game for my
boys last night for Christmas. And it wasn't even an
educational one at that. (Sigh!) I guess we all do to the
best of our abiliy at the moment. I also contributed to
the Needy Children fund at the church last night and so
I feel somewhat vindicated. We have taught the boys
to be givers also and they pass on toys and clothing.
Times are getting rough for some again and we may
see a return to the frugal ways of the past.
In the meantime, on a lighter note, I do so enjoy
these things:
1. Big navel oranges and tangerines.
2. A warm house instead of winter woolies.
3. Truffles and Lady Godiva instead of
chocolate covered cherries that I always
got from the Christmas name-drawing.
4. Soft-soap and Caress bath bars,
(tropical scented) instead of home-made
lye soap, even though it cured everything.
5. My sweetie, (who just now called to say
that he is on the way over to my house
with two new elements for the water heater.)

I have a lot more to be thankful for, that I will write about
later, but for now, one thing is FOR SURE and certain"

"LITTLE THINGS MEAN A LOT". Bless your heart!


3 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Yes we are so spoiled. Pioneer women and their families lived a tough life for sure. But they really managed to have a good life anyway. It's all in what you get used to I suppose. There are people in the world that don't have any running water even in our modern times. 'On Ya'-ma

Leigh/BlueDragonfly said...

What a sweetie you do have! Hope your water heater's back up and running soon!
When I was young(4-11yrs) we lived on a farm, heated with wood and part of my chores was to carry wood in for the heater. When it was snowy, we'd take the saucer sleds and load the wood in those and pull them across the yard. My Dad built a sled with side rails for hauling the sap buckets from the maple trees in the early spring, and then we just attached it to a wheeled wagon when the snow melted. There were cows to be fed and milked, chickens to be fed. So we were no strangers to work in all kinds of weather. We played as hard as we worked, though. It was all good!
:) Leigh

Beth said...

I'd be interested to hear what year your sweetie's father passed away. I've written a couple of entries lately about the influenza outbreak of 1918. At 28, he was certainly taken young, but it was definitely a rough life. My folks grew up during the Depression, and both had siblings that died because of bacterial infections like diphtheria.

Hugs, Beth