Tuesday, November 18, 2008

SPOIL SPORT!

I am a spoil sport. I have been accused of it, I admit it, guilty as
charged. Relegated by age and physical condition to enjoy only
spectator sports, I am a fan of basketball, baseball, and even
football, provided I can watch from the safety of my seat in the stadium
or my comfy living room. I have watched hockey and rugby a few
times, but they have become too rough for me. The sight of blood
alarms me to no end, and an ambulance parked at a sporting event
chills me to the bone. I have not encouraged my son or my grandsons
to participate, fearing that academics might take second place to
sports. All three have played team basketball, while Nana cringed
at flying elbows, and falls, not even to mention unsportsmanlike
behavior. I have been regaled with the possibilities of getting big
scholarships and handsome salaries as a professional, but I, for
one remain unconvinced.
Okay, so I am a scaredy-cat. especially where my kiddos
are concerned. My husband had to persuade me to allow my son
to get B-B guns and motorbikes, well past the age that his friends
aquired these coveted possessions. Needless to say, I said, "I
told you so", when he got a broken arm playing baseball and got
hit by a car on the dirtbike. (MEN! And their toys!)
I told the above so you would understand how unsettled I became
to hear that my son, now a mature adult, had made an effort to conceal
the fact that he had gone on a hunting trip this week. From me, at least.
He told me that it was because he knew I would worry. I did not tell
him that I worried anyway, thinking he was being evasive because
he was going to a doctor for tests. Overactive imagination. He said,
"I killed a deer." I thought to myself, "Is this my son who cried his
eyes out at eleven when he shot at a bird and accidentally killed it?"
I said "Oh, no! You killed Bambi?" I implied, "How could you?"
He knows that I cannot bear to kill anything, even an ant. He asked
me if I thought it was wrong to hunt, even if the meat was dressed
out for food. I told him, "No, the Bible says it is lawful to eat meat,
except for creepy, crawly things." The dietary laws of the Old
Testament were given for the good of mankind, in a time when
there was no refrigeration and sanitation. I think they still may
be a good thing to follow. Some were ethical, such as not stewing
the meat of an animal in its mother's milk. Noone likes a good
hamburger, steak or poultry more than I, yet I do feel we would
be better off to be vegetarian and legume eaters. I fear that
hormones and chemicals used in animals are threatening to our
health. I told my son that I read recentlly that pregnant women and
children under six should not eat venison killed with lead shot. I asked,
"Do you enjoy killing a helpless animal?" He said, "Of course not,
even though I am pretty good at it. a lot more get away than I kill, and
I must admit that I was glad I did not get that big buck with the huge
rack." He said, "It is more about the camraderie, friends telling
tall tales at the lodges." I knew in reason that was the true reason
for going. Since he lost his father, I feel he yearns for male com-
panionship more than before, even though his father had an
aversion to hunting similar to mine. I even at that time felt a little
smug pity for "hunting widows" because their husbands were absent
so much indulging in that sport. I realize that without hunters the game
would overpopulate and become a nuisance or a threat, but I still
cannot help but be repulsed by this sport. Some may consider it
akin to bullfighting, gamecock fighting and such. Am I being hypo-
critical to feel this way, while still eating meat? I do not eat fish,
but I enjoy fishing. (I rationalized that Jesus had fisherman disciples,
and fed the multitude with loaves and fishes.) I just do not like fish,
but I think it is a healthy choice to substitute for meat.
I have always prided myself with the idea that my children could
tell me anything. The lines of communication were always open,
and we shared good news along with bad. I do not want them
to keep secrets from me because I am judgmental. However,
they know how I feel about certain issues, and if it is important
enough to them to disregard my wishes, then more power to them.
I raised them right, Now they are adult and make their own choices.
But , Please, God, guide them and direct their paths.

2 comments:

Beth said...

I struggle with this myself, Pat. I'm not a vegetarian, but I am so soft-hearted when it comes to animals. I could never raise animals for food. I also understand the necessity of "thinning the herd," but since living in the country and getting to know our local wildlife, I don't believe I could ever eat venison again. I don't have a problem with those who hunt, as long as they are ethical about it, but they can leave Nutwood's critters alone!

Love, Beth

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I see nothing wrong in hunting if the meat is going to good use and not wasted. Some just hunt for the fun of it and don't care about the meat. There are starving people that would love something to eat right here in our own country. None of my boys ever took an interest in hunting, though my hubby did in his younger days. Luckily he never got anything because I'm not a venison lover. He went with friends which is why he went I'm sure. We can't make decisions for our children, but we hope that we've instilled some good values into them.
There could be worse things.
'On Ya'-ma