Monday, December 29, 2008

NASHVILLE, TN.

Hi, Y'all!
I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas. I certainly
did, because it was spent with the family I love so much, mine!
We had a peaceful, relaxed evening with my son, daughter and
her family and my sweetie. Last year we had a houseful of guests
at her house but she had to work until Christmas evening, so we
did not invite anyone this year except family. As usual, too much
food was prepared, and I'm sure we all ate way too much. At
least I did. I will have to diet for months to make up for it. It was
so enjoyable, though. Since both boys are older, we got to watch
them get Santa gifts on Christmas eve. Lots of electronic gadgets
and games, which they loved. I enjoyed seeing them excited.
I was blessed this year with gifts I love and appreciate, but
then I always do appreciate them. My daughter gave me a long,
cream-colored coat for church, and a much needed set of Oneida
silverware (12 place settings!) and my sweetie gave me a big
set of "Beauiful" cologne, with cosmetic case and goodies,
trousers and shirt, and a gift certificate for the sales after.
But my big surprise was an all expense paid long weekend in
Nashville, Tn. My son took us, the seven hour trip was rainy,
but we found gas for 1.39, the cheapest for us yet. Our suite
at the Hilton was great, walking distance to Country Music Hall
of Fame, and Opry at the Rhyman, for which DS had got tickets.
Since my sweetie and I love country music among other
types of music, we enjoyed the museum so much. I did not
expect it to be as big as it was and as nice. We spent an entire
afternoon there and did not see it all.
The show at the Rhyman was fantastic. I was excited that
Keith Urban was performing, as he is one of my favorites. He
did not let us down, he was incredible. Nicole's family was
visiting them and all were in the audience. We got to see several
others; Jett Williams (Hank Williams,Sr,'s lost daughter), ( story
there) Juliette Hough(from Dancing with the Stars) , Jamey
Johnson, Chuck Weiss, Riders in the Sky, and other regulars
on the Grand Old Opry. And a fairly new group, Cherryholmes,
that I thought was very good. The acoustics at the Rhyman are
great, so I was not disappointed that the show was not at the
new Opry. I had been to the Rhyman a few times spaced over
the past thirty years, and it was like visiting an old friend.
We ate once at a honkey-tonk barbecue place, close to
the Orchid Lounge. A mistake, since it was late evening.
The next morn we ate at Pancake Pantry, another N-Ville
tradition. We love the one in Gatlinburg and this one was
excellent, also. Sunday morning, we went to the Opryland
Hotel and it is even bigger than I remembered. We had
brunch at Watersedge in the Cascades section. The
dancing waters fountain was right at our table. The geysers
with music is a trifle hypnotic, but so relaxing. Seeing all the
beautiful flowers and trees in full bloom was such a welcome
sight after the cold spell we have had. But speaking of
weather, Mother Nature cooperated wonderfully. Saturday
was a blissful 72 and Sunday, though cooler, was still very
pleasant. Kids, of course, were in short sleeve t-shirts. It
must be a universal trait to hate jackets until you are 30!
All in all, it was a weekend that I enjoyed tremendously, thanks
to a wonderful son who knows his Mama so well.
My grandson, the one who got the bad burn, is gone
back to the surgeon today to determine whether he will need
a skin graft on his foot. I am praying that the healing is more
than satisfactory at this stage. That would be the greatest
gift I could get before 2009. My late husband's brother passed
away Christmas and we were unable to attend funeral today
as the family lives in Texas but our heart goes out to them as
holidays are always hard after someone passes.
I hate to end this exuberant posting on a sad note, but
if we need any reminder to show family and friends that we
love them , this is it. Not just at Christmas , but everyday,
we need to say "I love you, I appreciate you, and you are a
valued part of my life." And not just say it, show it in our
actions. Then we can truly enjoy each day, every day, one
day at a time! God bless you all and I love you, my friends.

3 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

What a wonderful Christmas you had. How nice to go to Nashville and see the sights. Sorry to hear about the death of your late husbands brother. It's sad at anytime but at Christmas very hard.
You are so right about telling those you love them everyday. I'll keep your grandson in my prayers that healing is done and no graphs will be needed.
'On Ya'-ma

Happy Being Me said...

Your Christmas sounds like ours, quite but comfortable. What a wonderful treat to go to TN and see all your favorites especially Keith and family. My thoughts and prayers shall go up for your grandson knowing he will have a successful recovery. Take care and may your New Year be one you remember always,
Katie

Beth said...

I'm glad you had such a wonderful time, Pat! You deserve it!

I'm sorry about your brother-in-law, and I hope his family is doing okay during such a rough time.

Love, Beth