Monday, December 8, 2008

TREASURE HUNT

Well, I've done it again! My annual treasure
hunt is underway. This tradition is many ,many
years in the making and has become such a
customary part of our holidays that it has even
extended to birthdays and anniversaries.

You see, I start shopping early for gifts,
when I am out somewhere and something
catches my eye that I think a family member
or friend will like. Even if the event to cele-
brate is months away, I squirrel it away,
to bring out and wrap at he proper time.

I have a large, two-story house, but it
has become filled to the max throughout
my many years of receiving gifts from my
family and friends. Being overly senti-
mental and slightly superstitious, I seldom
part with gifts given to me, regardless of
the price or age of item. (I still have the
plaster handprints, the hand-made cards,
and painted ornaments that my children
made thirty and forty years ago.) That's
just the kind of mother that I am. Though
my head tells me to part with things, when
it comes to discarding my treasures, I
cling to them as if they were living instead
of just things. (Not only mine, but my
children's trove of memorabilia.) My closets
are filled with ancient cheerleading outfits,
sports equipment, love letters, and such
keepsakes from their school years. I
tried to give Daughter all her treasure but
she does not want clutter in her new house.
"You keep it for me, Mom. The boys may
want to see it someday." To which I
reply, "Okay, but when I'm gone, you will
have one heckava time sorting it out. You'll
have to get one of those dumpsters park
in the driveway for a month or so." This tears
at my heart because not too long ago, we
went through the same thing at my mother's
house when both parents had passed away
and the house need to be emptied for sale.
My sister and I spent weeks sorting and
sitting crying while we looked at things she
had collected. It prolonged the grief , I
suppose, but it also brought back many
precious memories of our childhood. I
think memories are the best to collect and
as we get older, they sometimes slip to\
the back of our minds and need to be
refreshed by a aged photo or doo-dad.

I said all this to say that my house is full.
Even though it is big, closets, drawers,
bookcases, Everything is full, so when
I start stashing my Christmas gifts, I have
to search for places to put them. I have
six , long , narrow drawers under a king-
sized waterbed that can hold small things,
I put jewely boxes, colognes and other
small thing in there for safe keeping. I
resolved this year to only buy small things
which are usually more expensive anyway,
so that they could be easily wrapped and
stored, then transported to their varied
recipients. GOOD PLAN, if it worked.

Then, when I was dining one
day in fall at Cracker Barrel, I came
upon a fine set of horshoes in a
wooden carrying case, and a neat
croquet set which my sweeties DD
had admired, but passed over even
though they were both half price.
Aha! A good gift for her family, that
could be enjoyed for many summers.
So, I went back later and bought both
of them with smug pleasure. I could
mark that off my Christmas list.

When I got home, I realized that
I needed a place to store them until
time for giving, and I began to look
around for a place. Several places
occured to me that were large enough
to hold them, but when I went there,
they were either full or not big enough.
Finally, I must have found a place
where they would not be in my way
for months. I dunno.

Friday, as I prepared for my
trip to sweetie's DD's home for their
annual dinner and gift exchange, I
needed to wrap their presents. And
so it began! The treasure hunt. Now,
it started out fun but as I could not
remember which of the places I had
finally stashed them, it turned frantic.
As the day progressed, I changed
from a leisurely packing organizer to
a frantic madwoman, tearing madly
from place to place, searching every
nook and cranny for the elusive gifts.
I left behind a trail of jumbled closets,
opened suitcases , boxes and bags
that would take me a month to repack.
So much for my early planning.

I finally despaired of finding them,
and thought I'd have to go shopping , but
I finally put together a collection of gifts
intended for others to take to them. I may
find them in time for her February birthday.

When I called my daughter later and
related my frantic search, she said in a matter-
of-fact tone, "So, what else is new? Mom,
you have been doing this as long as I can
remember." And she is right, darn it. I
reminded her that it all began because Santa
could not hide her gifts anywhere she coud
not forage them out of and secretly play with
for some time before Christmas. She knew
all my hiding places and I had to be really
creative to elude her prying eyes. She said,
"Oh, but it was such fun. It made it last a long
long time. And I learned to rewrap gifts so
neatly, so that you didn't suspect." Yes, I did
suspect and finally, one Christmas, at a loss
for anywhere she could not get at, I had
resorted to leaving them locked in the trunk
of the car.

That Christmas eve, the children were
so excited that they could not go to sleep. We
waited and waited for silence so that we could
retrieve the Santa gifts from the car. Finally,
Hubby went off to sleep and I was left to handle
it alone. It was bitterly cold, near zero, and an
icy snow had fallen, making the driveway slick.
I bundled up and gingerly made my way to the
car, thinking I could do it in two or three trips.
To my surprise, the key would not turn in the
icy lock. I fumbled frantically until my fingers
were frozen and the tears on my cheeks had
frozen also. I even tried pouring a pan of hot
water over it to no avail. I went back inside
and awakened Hubby with my panicked tale.
He said, "I'll get up at daylight and try to get
them out."

I was awakened the morning of Christmas
Day by two excited children who had run down
to see an empty tree, cookies not eaten. I will
never forget the look on their faces as they felt
it had finally happened, they had been so bad
that Santa had forgot them. My desperate
Hubby, who had overslept , had to wait almost
until noon before he could thaw the lock. Santa
was sure running late that year. A memorable
Christmas, for the wrong reasons. My DD
assured that they had already known who
supplied Santa, but that was the night my
Hubby and I stopped believing in him.

When we talked about this experience
yesterday and the lost gifts, my daughter
reassured me, "Mom, thats as much a tradition
for me as any other. You pull out hidden gifts
for a month after Christmas. I actually look
forward to it." I guess I will continue to hide
them from myself, Despite all my scourging
myself about being less sentimental and
more organized, I hope they like me this way.
I'm too old to change now.
Happy holidays, especially Merry Christmas.
I

3 comments:

Happy Being Me said...

I know what your talking about - I organize and stage homes for a living and you would not believe the things people have trouble parting with. I have only one son and I have put together a mini keepsake/hope chest for him of all the things I've treasured over the years. I will give this to him as a house warming or Christmas gift when he moves out. Loved this entry. Take care and enjoy,
Katie

Beth said...

What a great story!

I've also stashed things away, only to look frantically for them a few months down the road. It really is a feeling of panic!

Beth

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It is comforting to know that I'm not the only one that does things like that. I always say I'm in the re-search department. I like your idea of a treasure hunt much better.