Monday, December 8, 2008

PAMPERED, .......BUT (butt?)

My bachelor son and I share a home. He has a

full apartment on the ground floor while I reside upstairs.

We finished the upstairs of our split level home first

and lived there while we completed the ground floor.

We eventually took the double car garage and

changed it into a multi-use great room for him.

After his father passed away, he continued to live

there (seven years now). He had moved back

leaving a successful career in Cincinatti, to be

with ailing father and grandfather. He dated a

classmate through college, law school, and

two years employment. (She also became a

lawyer.) Our family was fond of her. The

relationship could not endure a long distance

romance and with no desire to relocate, it

ended suddenly eight years ago. Since then,

he dated a doctor steadily (eight years now)

while they both got their practices going and

just recently, their relationship seems to have

reached a stalemate. Seven-year itch?

An ultimatium? We do not know what the

pivotal point was, he is such a private person.

Anyway, for now at least, he is a somewhat

disgruntled tenant, stressed to the maximum.

His usual pleasant demeanor changing to critical

complaints makes me wonder about it and

worry that somehow his living here is getting

the blame for his present predictament.

For instance, I had to take towels

into his bathroom yesterday, and noticed

that there was no tissue on the shelf. I went

upstairs, got some of mine and placed it on

the holder. Later on, after work, this was his

gripe, "Can't we at least buy decent toilet

tissue? That stuff you buy is not fit for service

station restrooms." I reply, "Just trying to keep

a few bucks from going down the drain." So,

he retorts, "Oh, no! I can't wait for you to get off

that frugal kick. Ever since you heard the word

recession, all I've heard is save, save,save. If a

lawyer can't afford Charmin, he ought to change

professions." That got my dander up and I snapped

back, "How do you think you got that education? By

us cutting corners and saving?" Later, I sheepishly

added, "I know you worked all through school, and

then still took student loans, so you should know it

does not come easy." To that he replied, "Oh, no,

here comes your favorite phrase, 'Poor people have

poor ways!' '' Mom, you have not been "poor" for

at least 50 years, (since you married Dad). Why do

you still believe you are.? " I didn't say, "Well, I thought

I was for sixteen years prior to that." He said,

"Here we go again. The old outhouse with the

Sears, Roebuck catalogue hard times tale!"

Later that day, still fuming from his unusual

outburst, I thought to myself, "Yes, I lived with

parents those years who had endured the Great

Depression and survived on their frugal ways."

They paid cash on the barrelhead or did without

until they could afford something.

I was privileged to raise my children in a

loving family in good economic times. They

never realized any struggles that we might have

had financially. But with my firstborn I can

remember hanging her cloth diapers on the

clothesline in freezing weather, They froze dry.

Now, with my son, Pampers had come along.

And so began the Pampered generation. Maybe

that it to blame for the present panic felt by an

economy doing a nosedive. Pampers, thats it.

Wonder what he will tell his children (if he ever

has any) about hard times when he was little. I

can imagine it something like this:

"Would you believe we didn't even have wind-

shield wipers on the commodes or hiney blow-

dryers? I don't know how we survived those hard

times and that awful toilet paper."

Well, I have vented now and feel better. I do

not mean that I do not fully appreciate all he does..

I love him with all my heart , and I know he loves me,

also. Now, if he could just quit smoking.....................!

the blame for his present predictament.

3 comments:

Beth said...

Pampers sounds about right to me as the root cause! ;)

I feel bad for your son--it sounds like this really knocked him for a loop. However, he shouldn't take it out on you. I hope he can get past this and ease up on you!

Hugs, Beth

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

As much as I dearly love all my sons and my daughter, I don't think I could live with them. I give you credit for that. I grew up like you and know the value of a dollar for sure, it doesn't hurt to be a little frugal. Let him buy the Charmin if he wants it.
'On Ya'-ma

Rita said...

I like how you've related Pampers to this pampered generation.

Don't like the t.p.? Go buy his own! No one is forcing it on him.

I related to your thoughts about the children we've raised who have no idea about saving, doing with less, doing without. I was raised by grandparents who literally had days when they had no idea what to feed their children.